Antelope Springs Mining District

"Retorts! Retorts everywhere!"

Nevada Quicksilver Mine

The Antelope Springs district, also known as the Relief district, was first worked when antimony ore was discovered at the Hollywood mine in 1864. Silver discoveries at the (original) Relief mine in 1869 also brought development to the district, where mining continued until the early 1900s.

In 1907, mercury was discovered at the Red Bird mine. Subsequently, a number of other mercury mines were located in the vicinity of Pershing Ridge (the best known being the Nevada and Pershing Quicksilver mines). Those mines were operated intermittently from the 1910s until the 1970s, and have produced 12,500 flasks of mercury.

Today, the only active development in the district is the newer Relief mine, which has been in operation since the early 1980s. The original Relief mine (Batavia and Pacific) and the Red Bird mine will be the subjects of a future expedition.

The Nevada Quicksilver, Pershing, and Montgomery mines can be found on their own pages by clicking their names or using the navigation bar on the right.

Return to Top