The Averill townsite, named for Roger Averill, was surveyed and came into being in mid-1865. Early the next year, the Connecticut & Nevada Silver Mining Company erected a twenty-stamp mill at a cost of $150,000 to treat ore from La Plata and the Mountain Wells District. The venture was short lived, and Averill was apparently abandoned by 1869.

See Also
La Plata