Frank Jessup and L.H. Murray discovered gold in the Trinity Range in February 1908, and within a few months considerable work was underway in the new district. A few companies were organized, and carloads of ore assaying over $100/ton were shipped by rail from Huxley. A townsite, initially called White Canyon before being renamed Jessup, was laid out in March. By the next year it peaked at a population of abour 300, with grocery stores, saloons, lumber yards, and a meat market, but the boom died by the end of the year and the town was slowly abandoned. Only intermittent, minor work was done by lessees in subsequent decades.