In 1919, the White Star Plaster Company built a mill, connected by a short railroad spur to Arrowhead on the St. Thomas Branch of the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. Initially the Company mined and processed calcined gypsite, but results were unsatisfactory until a new gypsum deposit was located in 1921. The following year, the mill was enlarged from two 10 ft. oil-fired calcining kettles to three, and ore shipments to Los Angeles averaged 3,000 tons per month. Meanwhile, a camp developed below the mill. A post office called Hupton was opened in 1922, named after A.C. Hupp, an official of the White Star Co., and the population reportedly peaked at around 500. Due to the intense heat during summer, some rooms were even chiseled into the gypsum to allow men working graveyard shift a cool place to sleep. The White Star Co. ceased operations in 1923, however, and Hupton emptied within the next two years.

St. Thomas Branch


Arrowhead • Jackman

↙ Hupton