Started as a stop on Smith Van Dreillen's stage line, Taylors was named for Taylor Postlethwaite. In those early days, a bed and two meals cost $2.50. In the early 1870s, when the boom at Cornucopia was underway, Taylors was the location where a new stage route joined the road to Tuscarora. In 1875, the DeFrees Mill was constructed at Taylors to treat ore from Tuscarora, but it didn't end up being used much and was later dismantled to construct a boardinghouse and bunkhouse at the Dexter Mining Company's power plant on Niagara Creek - some seven or eight miles north.

Today, little remains of Taylors' past. A few ranches operate in the vicinity, and a bar and sportsman's cabins are located in Taylor Canyon.