Diamond City

Though a man named Phillips discovered silver on the west side of the Diamonds in June 1864, development didn't occur until 1866 when ore assaying at $150/ton was shipped to Austin. The district was quiet again until 1873, when a small smelter was erected by the Champion Silver Mining Co. below their Champion Mine - at that point the largest producer in the district. A small town came into being, but by the end of the 1870s most mining had come to a close. Charcoal kilns kept some working, but ultimately Diamond City was abandoned in the 1880s. The Eureka Silver Mines Co. attempted work again on the Phillips property in 1922, but no production was every made.