Palisade was established in 1868 as a station along the new Central Pacific Railroad. Almost immediately, it became an important shipping and supply point for mines in eastern Nevada. In 1874, the importance grew as work began on the Eureka & Palisade Railroad, connecting the silver-lead mines at Eureka to the railroad. Palisade became the headquarters for the new line, and a large machine and repair shop was built. At its peak in the mid-1870s, Palisade had a population of 600 and a wide assortment of businesses. By 1878, more than 31 million pounds of bullion was transported to town on the E&P.

By 1880, Palisade's population settled to only about 250. Nevertheless, it still maintained its importance and a handsome new depot was completed in 1882 to serve both railroads. Later in the decade, however as ore diminished at Eureka, Palisade's business slowed and less frequent trips were made on the E&P. In 1908, Palisade was reached by the Western Pacific Railroad, but this did not provide any additional boost to the town. A disastrous flood in 1910 which washed out all three railroads further helped the town's decline.

In 1915, 242 people still lived in Palisade, but this number quickly shrank to less than 150. In 1938, the Eureka & Palisade Railroad (reorganized as the Eureka-Nevada in 1912) was dismantled, spelling the end of the town. A few families remained for several years, but in 1961 the town finally lost its post office. Ranching continues in the canyon and trains pass through daily, but not much remains of the former railroad town aside from an extensive cemetery.

Click Here for Palisade Cemetery

Central Pacific Railroad

← Gerald • Palisade


Raines [E&P] ↘