Daveytown came into being around 1912, after gold was discovered in the nearby Slumbering Hills two years prior. It took its name from the Davey or Mayday Mine, owned by H.C. Davey. A five-stamp amalgamation mill was erected, treating about 10,000 tons of ore before its closure (presumably about 1918 when activity in the district declined). Daveytown experienced a slight resurgence after World War II when mines were reopened across the state, lasting until 1951. It has remained idle since.

See Also