Mt. Airy

Mt. Airy was named by Arnold Hague of the Fortieth Parallel Survey, after English scientist Sir George Biddell Airy (1801-1892). In 1861 or 1862, an Overland Mail Station was established lasting until 1869, after which it was inconsistently reused until the 1890s. Only low, unimpressive rock ruins and the lonely grave of Mrs. Franklin (wife of the station keeper, who died of smallpox in 1869) remain at the site.

See Also
New Pass Station