Combined Metals Reduction Co.
Shaft No. 1

The Combined Metals Reduction Company's operation was located at the site of the original Raymond & Ely No. 1 shaft, and serviced by the Pioche Pacific Railroad. The property was acquired by the Amalgamated Pioche Mines & Smelter Corp. in 1912. The Amalgamated Pioche Corp. made no developments after 1917, but by 1924 the property was being leased by the Combined Metals Reduction Co. and that year a new mill was erected. By 1926, C.M.R.'s mill was processing 4000 tons a month. In 1929, to better exploit the ore beneath the surface, a shaft was sunk on the western side of mountain and connected by an 8000-foot tunnel at the 1200-foot level; this No. 2 Shaft led to the creation of nearby Caselton. The C.M.R. Co. also went on to build the large mill at Caselton in 1940. It isn't known when the Pioche mill closed, but the railroad was removed in 1942 and mining likely ended around 1957.

Pioche District
PiocheMines & Mills
Combined Metals #1Caselton

Bibliography