Wellington

The stage station at this location was originally established in 1861 after a bridge was completed over the West Walker River by Jack Wright & Leonard Hamilton, where several different routes converged to head south toward Aurora. In 1863, the station was sold to Daniel Wellington, for whom it was renamed. A post office opened in 1865 and has operated almost continuously since. As traffic to Aurora decreased in the 1870s, Wellington gradually transitioned into an agricultural community as well as a supply point for other mines nearby. Later, as automobiles increased in popularity, the town gained a garage and service station. Today Wellington remains a small, quiet hamlet with a few businesses.

Bibliography