Broken Hills

From 1913 to 1920, Broken Hills was primarily an operation of two men; James Statford and Joseph Aurthur. Because they got to the best prospects, the town never really boomed. It held a post office from December 1, 1920 until October 15, 1921. Water was imported from Lodi Valley, 10 miles away. All ore was shipped to Bruner's 50-ton mill, 12 miles away (see Phonolite). A mining company bought them out and soon after went belly up. In 1926, with discoveries at Quartz Mountain, the town experienced a short boom. It held a post office once again from June 16, 1926 until February 28, 1935. SOme minor work was done as recently as the 1980s.

See Also
Quartz MountainPhonolite