Fletcher

Fletcher, earlier known as Six Mile Station (due to its position six miles from Aurora), was a welcome oasis and stop along the stage route connecting Carson City, Aurora, and Bodie beginning in the late 1860s. In 1881, it also became the closest point to the Carson & Colorado Railroad, with a road running over Lucky Boy Pass to Hawthorne. By 1883, Six Mile was important enough to warrant its own post office, which took the name of its first postmaster, H.D. Fletcher.

Fletcher continued to serve as a stop as transportation improved, before it was ultimately abandoned in the 1930s. In 1949, Mr. & Mrs. "Buck" Scott of Hawthorne purchased the old home at Fletcher and renovated it, but it was unfortunately lost to fire on the morning of September 17 that same year.

See Also
Five Mile House

Bibliography