Garfield Mill

In May 1884, work began on Archie Farrington's new five-stamp quartz mill at Garfield Springs to treat ore from his Garfield mine, some nine miles away. The mill was started up that September. By 1885, ore was being brought in from La Panta, and in 1888 the mill started the season with five additional stamps. The mill operated on ore from various mines until 1904, when it was dismantled and moved to Columbia. Later attempts were made to cyanide the tailings around 1909 and during the 1930s, but were met with very limited success.