Nine claims, named the Royal George group, were located here in 1915 by James P. Nelson. Soon after, the properties were purchased by the Olympic Mines Company. The company erected a 70-ton cyanide mill in 1917 and a post office, using the acronym Omco, opened April 26 of the same year. When the mill burned in 1919, a new 80-ton mill was built to replace it and it operated from 1920 until 1921. On March 15, 1921, the post office closed.

An earthquake on December 20, 1932 collapsed much of the mine's workings, although in 1936 the mine and mill were rehabilitated by J.H. Simpson, of Simon. Minor developments were made around that time, but Omco has remained mostly quiet since.

See Also