Fluorspar Mine

Discovered in 1918 by J. Irving Crowell, Sr., the Daisy mine (better known as the Fluorspar) would quickly become one of Nevada's leading fluorspar producers. The mine was operated by the Continental Fluorspar Co. (with Crowell, Sr. as President), and the first shipment of 700 tons was made in 1919. A mill was built in Beatty to process the ore in 1923, which by the late 1940s was enlarged to treat three tons per hour. From the 1940s through the 60s, multiple thousand tons of ore were produced each year, and even into the 1970s the Crowell family continued to ship fluorspar ore to such companies as Geneva and Bethlehem Steel. It has been inactive since 1984, but still belongs to the Crowell family.