The milling camp of Knickerbocker formed in 1865 around the construction site of the Knickerbocker Mill, which would be completed in early 1866. The mill, which had 20 stamps and 6 roasting furnaces, was used to process ore from Ione and Grantsville until 1875. During that time, the camp had about 25 people.

In October 1877, the mill was reopened by the Ural Mining Company to process ore from Grantsville, although it was only used until November 1878 when the Alexander Mill at Grantsville began operation. In 1887, Thomas Mitchell restarted the mill to treat ore from the Cincinnati Mining Company, which was operating the Berlin mine. It closed again in 1889.

Knickerbocker's last hurrah started in 1896 when the mill was purchased and repaired by W.S. Gage, who used it to reduce ore from his many mines. He died in 1897, and the mill closed permanently. In 1898, it was bought by the Nevada Company, run by J.G. Phelps Stokes. It was later dismantled for use in the new 30-stamp mill in nearby Berlin.

See Also