McKinney Tanks

While it is possible that McKinney Tanks originated as a water stop and station for freighters traveling between different mining camps, its early history is unknown. In 1909, Milo A. Caine and his wife built a house and rest stop, where they served meals (regarded as best in the region) and sold hay and grain. That year, a telegraph was completed through McKinney Tanks, connecting the camp of Helena to Tonopah. As travel increased following the construction of the Midland Trail in 1920, Mr. Caine sank a new well and eventually purchased 500 White Leghorn, selling both eggs and chickens. He planted alfalfa and vegetables and raised cattle and sheep until he was injured in an incident at Willow Creek. The Caines subsequently moved to Los Angeles, where Milo died in 1934, followed by his wife in 1949.

In the 1930s, sheep rancher Jack Clark managed McKinney Tanks, continuing to serve meals and host dances. Later, the station was used for sheep shearing. It is not known when the station finally closed.