Porter Springs

A lush oasis surrounded by vast desert, Porter Springs has naturally been used as a water source and campsite for Paiute natives for centuries. Among the first white men to camp here was Lieutenant Andrew Beckwith, as he surveyed the 41st parallel in 1854.

In the mid-1950s, Ellis K. Farnum and family moved two cabins to Porter Springs from Tunnel Camp and built a small tungsten mill to treat ore from their nearby Holiday Mine. They produced 3000 tons of tungsten before the mill ceased operation in 1962. Since then, the springs have again become a popular campsite.