St. Mary's

This area was first known as Lassen Meadows, and was a stop along the California Emigrant Trail. From this point, emigrants could continue following the Humboldt River, or veer off to the west and follow the Applegate-Lassen Trail (and by extension the Nobles Trail).

In the summer of 1863, the townsite of St. Mary's covering a half square mile was surveyed along the northern banks of the Humboldt River with the intent of becoming a silver milling town. By the end of August, there were two hotels, a store, butcher shop, and houses built of adobe plastered with gypsum. During this time, a ferry operated crossing the Humboldt River. The St. Mary's Mining, Mill & Ditch Co. made plans for a ditch, complete with an eight-foot drop capable of powering several mills. Unfortunately, the St. Mary's ditch project never materialized, and the town was mostly deserted by mid-1864.