Brown's Station, named for its proprietor, originally began as a station on the Emigrant Trail before crossing the Forty Mile Desert. In 1868, when the Central Pacific Railroad was constructed through Nevada, Brown's was moved closer to the railroad in anticipation of increased business and a railroad depot was established. A Paiute village also developed. In 1902, the Central Pacific was realigned south of Brown's to bypass White Plains Hill. In 1910, Brown's name was changed to Toy.

In 1940, a small tungsten mill was built at Toy by United Tungsten Mines, Ltd. to treat ore from the Payday and Lobo claims to the northwest. By 1942, the mill was enlarged to handle 50 tons of ore each day. In 1943, the Contact Mining Company acquired the property. Lessees did work through 1944, and after that the property became idle. The mill may have been once again used from 1951 until 1956 to treat ore from the nearby Coon Can Mine.

Central Pacific Railroad