Fleish was the third powerhouse constructed on the Truckee River to service Virginia City and the surrounding region. Named for the Fleishhacker brothers, who both established the Floriston Pulp & Paper Mill and financed the Truckee River General Electric Company, the Fleish Powerhouse was completed in 1905. A settlement grew around the powerhouse with a station on the Southern Pacific Railroad, gaining the post office from nearby Marmol in 1908. Though the post office barely lasted more than a year, the railroad station held on until December 15, 1938 before abandonment.

Today, the Fleish Powerhouse continues to be fed by a two mile flume and canal system (largely replaced or improved by the Truckee Meadows Water Authority in the mid-2010s), which drives a single 3,000 horsepower Victor spiral flume turbine and Westinghouse generator, capable of producing 2.5 megawatts.

See Also

Southern Pacific Railroad
← Calvada, CA • FleishMarmol