Though information is sparse, it appears that Gibson started life in the 1870s or 80s as a tackle and bait shop owned by Felix McCormack, complete with fishing boats for use on Winnemucca Lake. At that time, Winnemucca Lake was full of water and the belief was that it would become a popular destination. In 1888, McCormack's was purchased by Col. W.D.C. Gibson, agent of the Pyramid Lake Reservation, with the intent to open a trading post and resort.

It is unknown what development was completed at Gibson, however it did show on at least one map as late as 1917. Winnemucca Lake, meanwhile, has all but disappeared after its water supply was cut off early in the twentieth century.