Guanomi Mine

During the construction of the Fernley & Lassen Railroad in 1914, small amounts of gold and silver were discovered here and the prospect was worked briefly during the 1920s with little production. In the 1930s, it was further developed for copper and molybdenum by Walter Schmelzer and mine engineer Thomas W. Foster, including a new adit driven in 1938. Mining ended in 1958, though Schmelzer remained on the property until at least the 1970s.