Known originally as "The Willows," Sutcliffe started as a stage station built by James and Margaret Sutcliffe in 1885. It later became a popular resort, and a station on the Fernley & Lassen Railroad which was built 1912-14. A post office operated here from July 27, 1929 until August 15, 1940. From 1945 until 1956, the resort was operated by Harry and Joan Drackert. Currently holding a population of around 250, the town is one of three that lies within the boundaries of the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation (the others being Nixon and Wadsworth).