Ely Powder House

The Ely Powder House, sometimes also known as the Murray Canyon Powder House, was constructed in 1932-33 by carpenter Louis Johnson and laborers John & Harold Johnson to store explosive powder used by relief work crews, probably for road construction. Almost immediately following its completion, forest service ranger George Moore was instructed by supervisor C.J. Olsen to withdraw the site, but the request wasn't filed and approved until May 7, 1947. In recent years, the powder house has been privately leased, but was vacant as of 2001.