Fourmile Canyon
& Cox Station

Fourmile Canyon was passed through as a part of the Wadsworth-Columbus Freight Route, between stations at Wightman Well and Deep Hollow. This Freight Route was active from 1873-1882 and served as a connection from the Southern Pacific Railroad in Wadsworth to Candelaria, Marietta, Columbus, and the surrounding region. The trip was about 130 miles and took eight days to complete (each way).

At least two stations operated at some point within the canyon, one of which was likely Cox Station. Cox Station is poorly documented but generally regarded as being close to the mouth of Fourmile Canyon. In later days, the route between Fallon and Rawhide also passed through Fourmile Canyon.

Wadsworth-Columbus Freight Route, 1873-1882
Wightman WellFourmile CanyonDeep Hollow