The first discoveries in what became the Regent district were made in 1906, and in February 1907 the camp known as Rawhide was formed. High grade ore was discovered that summer, and the rush to Rawhide was on, temporarily slowed only by the financial panic at the end of the year. In 1908, automobiles were employed to haul ore to the railroad in Fallon, Schurz, and Luning.

By the time Rawhide was a year old, it had peaked the interest of successful promoters from Goldfield and thousands of individuals were attracted to the area. By June, Rawhide was home to 8000 people, over 40 saloons, 28 30 hotels, and a vast number of other businesses all equipped with modern conveniences. The Rawhide Western Railway was constructed from near Schurz, terminating just northwest of town near Stingaree Gulch. Two churches were also built to offset the community's extensive red light district.

On September 4, 1908, a massive fire leveled a large part of Rawhide, and the town began to slow. Three new mills were opened in 1909, but closed not long after. Rawhide slowly fizzled, though some individuals held on into the middle of the century. Total production is estimated at less than $2 million. Wooden buildings and the stone jail remained into the 1980s, but in the late part of that decade the land on which the townsite sat was purchased by the Kennecott Rawhide Mining Company. The jail was saved and moved to Hawthorne, but extensive development by Kennecott obliterated Rawhide. Only the cemetery remains, about a mile north of Kennecott's now-closed mining operations.