The tent camp of Grandpa was founded in 1903, named for the belief that it would one day be the grand daddy of all Nevada mining camps. Soon after, it was renamed Goldfield. During this year, Al Myers located the Combination lode, drawing such names as George Nixon and George Wingfield. Towards the end of 1903, the town was platted between Columbia Mountain and Malpais Mesa.

By spring 1904, Vol. 1 No. 1 of the Goldfield News was published, and by summer, the population approached 8000. However, in late 1905, with the opening of mines elsewhere in Nevada, the population declined along with speculation. Speculation was replenished in 1905 with the completion of the Tonopah & Goldfield Railroad. During 1906, the population exceeded 15,000 and over 150 buildings were being constructed monthly.

During 1907, the nation-wide financial panic brought decline. However, in 1908, recovery quickly began. The 100-stamp Goldfield Consolidated Mill was constructed on the side of Columbia Mountain. Structures including the Esmeralda County Courthouse and the magnificent Goldfield Hotel were erected. During the next few years, Goldfield prospered.

In 1913, a flashflood swept away several buildings. Ten years later, a fire wiped out nearly 53 city blocks. The Goldfield Hotel was luckily saved. The population declined to less than 1000 by the thirties. The Goldfield Hotel closed in 1946. The permanent population finally settled at around 250.

“Silent shaft head frames…mark the site of the greatest gold stampede that Nevada ever saw.”
–Goldfield, Boom Town of Nevada by Stanley W. Paher

Goldfield District
GoldfieldCons. Mill
Slaughterhouse Cyn

Tonopah & Goldfield Railroad
← Klondyke • Goldfield

Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad
Goldfield • Redrock →

Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad
Goldfield • Milltown →