At this location in the 1860's, a stone house was erected by officials of the Overland Stage Company to serve as a dining and overnight rest stop. When the Central Pacific Railroad was constructed here in 1868, it used water from springs nearby, and took the name Stonehouse or Stone House. For a number of years a small community existed here to serve the railroad and local ranchers, and a post office operated from November 26, 1890 until March 24, 1915, at which point it was relocated to Valmy.

Central Pacific Railroad
← Herrin • Stone HouseValmy