Logan City

In the early 1860s, rumors swirled of an entire mountain of silver near the Colorado River. A prospecting party left Austin in 1865 to locate the mountain, but after their efforts proved a waste they returned north. Along the trip, a Native American showed them where rich silver could be found near Mount Irish. They quickly staked their claims in March and departed for Panaca to resupply, but after they returned in June the new camp was ambushed by Natives and deserted.

A few months later, a new camp formed close to springs south of the Mount Irish mines and near a natural pass, soon taking the name Logan Springs or Logan City. Around 100 people soon arrived, and more than ten times than many claims were filed in the new Pahranagat District. A mill was built at Hiko, and during 1866 the district's population climbed to over 300, in which Logan City was the largest town with a store, hotel, stable, and the district's only post office. By 1869, however, ore was depleting and many moved on to the new boom at Pioche. By 1871, Logan City was abandoned.

After Logan City's abandonment, rancher Adin W. Geer used the springs the watering of livestock from 1889 until 1911, and even today some ranchers still utilize the springs. The last mining work was on a small aluminum silicate deposit, worked by Tom and Della Schofield from 1955 into the 1970s. Their home is the most prominent reminder of Logan City's past, and materials from the original townsite were used in its construction.

See Also
Crescent CityMt. Irish Archeological District