Gold was initially discovered here in 1861 and a mining district established, but it wasn't until the boom at nearby Pine Grove in 1867 that interest was renewed in the area and the Wilson District organized. By 1879, interest grew enough that the camp of Cambridge sprang up, complete with a post office and 10-stamp mill on the East Walker River. Activity waned in the 1880s, and aside from a small revival in 1936 which brought another mill into operation, Cambridge ceased to be.