The townsite of Vernon formed after gold mines in the Seven Troughs district came to life in 1905. On September 21, 1906, a townsite plat was accepted by the Humboldt County Commissioners, and a post office opened a little more than a month later. By mid-1907, Vernon competed with Mazuma for the title of largest town in the district, and during its peak reached a population of about 600.

By 1913, the town's population declined to only 50, and on July 31, 1918, it lost its post office. Today, the only remnant of the once-thriving town is the crumbling ruin of the old two-cell block jailhouse, supposedly blown up by vandals years ago.

Seven Troughs District
Seven TroughsMazuma
Tunnel CampVernon