Pilot Mountain Quicksilver Mines

Pilot Mountain Mining District

Thomas Pepper and Charles Keough were tracking two stray steers in June 1913, when Keough recognized cinnabar at an abandoned prospect. The two men staked the Lost Steers group of claims, and others from Mina staked their own claims as well. Production in the district began in 1915, reaching a peak between 1917 and 1919. Work continued off and on into the 1940s, with the largest producers being the Drew and Mina mines. The last mine in operation may have been the Moser mine, named for owner Carl Moser, as late as 1956.

The Lost Steers and Mina mines can both be found on their own pages.

See Also
Lost Steers MineMina Mine