Rock Point Mill

The Rock Point Mill was constructed in 1861 at a cost of about $200,000, and was one of the largest and most extensive mills on the Comstock. It was supplied with water from the Carson River via a dam and 2000-foot wooden flume, which fed two water wheels to power the operation. Beginning in 1863, it was leased by Charles S. Stevenson (who served as the state's governor from 1887-1890). Originally outfitted with forty stamps, the Rock Point was enlarged by 1866 to fifty-six stamps and by the 1870s had a capacity of 112 tons per day.

In 1882 the Rock Point Mill was destroyed by fire, but was quickly rebuilt and back in operation the next year. It was purchased by Herman Davis in 1898, and in conjunction with a cyanide plant was used to treat tailings in the area, and after the turn of the century ore from Tonopah. Another fire struck in 1909, and again the mill was lost. In 1910 it was rebuilt, this time by the Nevada Mining, Reduction & Power Company and fed by an aerial tramway from the Haywood Mine near Silver City. The mill operated until 1920, when it was finally closed and dismantled. For thirty-two years the site was used as the local dump until it was acquired by the Nevada Department of Highways. In 1977, it was transferred to Nevada State Parks, and has since been protected as a part of Dayton State Park.


The Comstock Lode
Virginia CityMines & MillsSix Mile Canyon
Gold HillYellow Jacket MineAmerican Flat
Silver CityDaytonRock Point MillDaney Mine
Carson River Canyon MillsEureka Mill

Bibliography