Six Mile Canyon

Placer mining in Six Mile Canyon may have began as early as 1858, but the Flowery District wasn't organized until after an 1859 discovery by James F. Rogers. A camp called Flowery or Flowery City was established in 1860, but was quickly overshadowed by growth in Virginia City and never truly blossomed.

In the 1860s and 70s, several mills were operated throughout the canyon as Virginia City grew, the largest being the Gould & Curry. Others included the Omega, Empire State, and Lady Bryan (old Flowery City). Residences were also built in the canyon as Virginia City spilled over. By the end of the century, however, most of the mines and mills had closed.


The Comstock Lode
Virginia CityMines & MillsSix Mile Canyon
Gold HillYellow Jacket MineAmerican Flat
Silver CityDaytonRock Point MillDaney Mine
Carson River Canyon MillsEureka Mill

Bibliography